May 1962

Ken Lowther and his friend Des Dawson worked together for a number of years during the 1950’s, this friendship lay the foundation for Lowther and Dawson (Kendal) Limited which was created by them in May 1962. The trio was completed when Moria Lowther joined the team in September the same year.

Initially the company focused on house building and built numerous homes in South Lakeland during the 1970’s and 1980’s. By the 1990’s the company concentrated mainly on contracting and their work include rebuilding the Kendal Railway Station, building the former Milk Marketing building (Kendal Business Park) and Lakeland Creameries, and St Mary’s Primary School at Kirkby Lonsdale.

In more recent years the company has been involved in a 3 year project to refurbish the former K Village site, in Kendal and various other contracts including the United Reform Church, Kendal.

We started a refurbishment job in September 2020; the lads were clearing out the chimney and  found this advert!
(Original advert appeared in The Westmorland Gazette in 1968)

We started a refurbishment job in September 2020; the lads were clearing out the chimney and  found this advert!
(Original advert appeared in The Westmorland Gazette in 1968)